Pages

Saturday 3 December 2022

Hussar Moulds Released

 As you may have seen, PA have recently released their new SYW hussar moulds, just in time to add to Santa's list.

I had a fair bit of input into deciding what to put into the moulds, but due to other interests have lost contact with PA a little over the last few months, so have not had chance to try out the moulds in advance of release. I have a set on the way, and will cast up a few once I get hold of them - postal strike permitting. The pictures are just downloads from PA's website.

Although released as three separate moulds they are intended to work as a set taking advantage of interchangeable heads and arms.

3132 - Officer and Trumpeter in busby

The first mould shows a trumpeter in kolback, however looking at the mould contents it can be seen that there is also an arm with a sword, so he can make an officer pointing. This figure should differ from the other two moulds by not having the wide cross belt worn to by the troopers to carry the carbine (or the standard). 


  3133 - Trooper with busby 




The next mould has a trooper in kolback carrying a carbine. As with the officer, there is also an arm with a sword to allow variation, if the sword arm is used then a carbine needs to be found from the final mould (or from the dragoons).

If a standard bearer is wanted (not many carried them) the intention is to use the carbine arm and drill through.



3134 - Trooper with mirliton


And finally a trooper with a sword in mirliton. In addition to the sword arm this chap has a the separate carbine which needs to be attached. I am not keen on the head let off the horse as that will need some filing to sort out, however PA are squeezing a lot of goodies into these moulds.


So with the above it should be possible to make hussar units in either kolback or mirliton and with variation in arm and horse positions - it will be interesting to see if it works.

What is missing?

I asked for a fourth mould containing an Austrian hussar trooper with their distinctive long coat and tricorn, but I think I was pushing my luck a little. If people want it then it might be worth commenting on PA's Facebook page,

In all probability I will not be the first to use these moulds, so as always feedback would be appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no....... (in a good way) Out of curiosity, how big are the horses compared to the Rosbach French Hussars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen them yet, there are some moulds on the way - I will let you know once the moulds arrive and I have cast them.

      Delete
  2. Ive just been casting these moulds this evening, apart from the musket they cast very well.
    They look much better than the Rossbach hussars, the horses are nicely proportioned and the poses are all useful and with some very simple sculpting you can have three different troopers plus and officer amd bugler.
    The mirliton head is good, but would benefit from a trailing streamer, the busby head is a disappointment - the head from the grenz infantry looks much better and it will be simple to add a busby bag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for feedback, I have not seen them yet.
      I understand there is no extended streamer on the mirliton as it would have been difficult to form in the mould.

      Delete
    2. Is it possible to take photo next to the Rossbach hussars for Ross to compare?

      Delete
  3. I cant get oics on here frim my phone frustratingly, so I have put pics up on the Prince August group page Steve, I think you are a member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have pinched some of the photos and loaded a new post - I hope you don't mind - I will leave it to you to answer any questions.

      Delete
  4. No problem :)
    Ill update photos as things get painted

    ReplyDelete