A couple of weeks ago I got my greasy mitts on the new Grenz mould containing the advancing figure and drummer.
I am in the middle of another project at the moment (20mm WW2 Normandy - I went there earlier this year), so it could be a while before I get around to painting up a unit. However, I was interested to see how the figures have turned out, so spent a few hours casting up enough the figures for a couple of 16 man units.
- The base board is just an offcut of kitchen unit shelving, it is fine under hot figures and small spillages, but would blister if a large lump of melted/hot metal was left in the same place for too long.
- A 300W solder pot (a bit bigger than the one PA sell) - and PA ladle.
- There is also a cheap digital thermometer (the thin twisted black wire on the right).
- Moulds (usually in pairs) are normally just held by 3 elastic bands, but this one needed a bit of extra pressure in the middle to prevent flash, so there is an additional PA clamp.
- I have a pin vice handy to push 1mm holes through the mould sides in difficult areas, in this case it needed vents in the lower tips of both sword scabbards.
- Pliers for getting the figures from the moulds and snips for cutting off the ingates etc.
They are pretty clean and should not take a lot of preparation and I think will paint up well.
I intend to make 16 man 'close order' units, with 13 advancing, the drummer plus an officer and standard bearer from the Hungarian range. I will base them on single bases so that they can also act in open order.
I have also cast up a unit using 'scrap metal', they also cast easily, detail is not as crisp, but should also paint up well.
I hope someone buys them - as I had to twist PA's arm to get them made😟.