Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2019

What a difference a head makes?

I had a game using the 'King of the Battlefield' rules last week - well worth a try if you have not used them.

During the game I thought how well the Russian cavalry, which are Karoliners, converted during casting/assembly with the new SYW heads fitted in with the new range. Rather than sidelining the old figures, I decided to try and 'upgrade' some of my painted units - something I was nervous about, as potentially it could ruin them - however I think I got away with it.

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with the older figures, however all of the new range have larger hats and more facial detail - so the older ones look a little out of place - the photo below shows the difference.


One of the units in action before change.



And the same unit after the head swap.



The process I adopted was much easier than I had expected - the important thing is to keep things as clean as possible (it was done with the figures on the bases), as follows:

  • Cut off the head with a pair of snips (this leaves an uneven surface)
  • Square off the join with a sharp craft knife (avoid a file as it makes a mess)
  • Drill a small diameter pilot hole (I used an electric mini drill)
  • Drill out the full size hole for the head to be fitted - use a pin vice for this to avoid generating heat which would damage the paint
  • Undercoat the heads before fitting
  • Fit the heads (I find the Russian officer ideal)
  • Paint to match existing.
I have done 2 units so far, I think they took about 3 hours each.

5 comments:

  1. I am a fan of both, but the new faces with discernible profiles do look better. You're a braver man than I where head swaps are concerned. I never quite manage to get the angle of the pins and new heads right and end up with units of men lolling their heads in formation.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That works really well Steve...
    You can’t even see the join...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done , you're a brave man , I could have botched it terribly .

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, nicely done, and it should help them fit in but....

    ...I'm not sure. Never been fond of the modern trend towards big headed figures.

    However, I am contemplating a unit of cavalry in bearskins so I'll have a go but with unpainted castings! Luckily there is enough variability in size in the old Rosbach, and HE lines when mixed with the Karoliners that a bit more variation from the new lines won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments.

    As I have said - the head style really is a matter of taste - however as most of the troops I now game with have the larger heads from the new range I think these fit in better.

    For anyone interested - they are currently working on the new dragoons.

    ReplyDelete