Pages

Friday 10 June 2022

More Frei Korps

Just to let you know I am still here and painting.

We have been playing a lot of games with the semi-flats over the last few months, unfortunately I never remember to take photos.

Frei Korps

I have painted up a unit of 'double blues' using advancing figures so that they can fit in close order. They are a bit generic so probably do not tie in exactly with any one unit, although du Verger (Quintus Icilius) is probably closest. I must confess that as this project progresses I am tending to paint things to my fancy rather than trying to be exact.

Frei Korps did not officially carry standards, I find it difficult to believe that units would not have some sort of rallying flag, and toy soldiers I think MUST have them, so I have painted spare figures to give them a flag (I think from Frei Korps von Kleist cavalry?)






9 comments:

  1. Lovely figures - look forward to seeing them en mass again

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice unit Steve…
    Blue coats with blue facings is an attractive combination .

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - possibly a bit tooooo BLUE - but they are toys!

      Delete
  3. Looking good, and I agree, gotta have a flag! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look terrific as always. On the subject of flags, I know that you use Maverick Models but what size do you typically use? Also, do you have an easy method for making the finials?

    Regards,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy
      Thanks - high gloss does wonders.
      The infantry flags are generally 40mm measured up the pole, and the cavalry 22mm - they are probably not correct but look right. If you want to scale them correctly, the figures are (I am told) 1/43, so:
      Austrian 127cm/43=30mm tall
      Prussian 140cm/43=33mm tall
      So mine are too big!
      The flag poles are just pikes as made by North Star, which have the heads pre formed - round the ends off, as they are very sharp!
      Steve

      Delete
    2. Thanks Steve, that's all I need now to get started. I've just cast my first unit at the weekend and was really pleased at how they turned out. I used a couple of bars of Model Metal and an assorted pile of scrap that I'd accumulated. I'm starting the painting today.and will probably cast up another unit this weekend to keep the first one company.

      Regards,
      Andy

      Delete
    3. Andy
      Have you decided what rules and unit sizes you are using.
      If you are UK based - if you need any odd figures let me know and I can probably let you have some.
      Steve

      Delete