Pages

Monday 7 March 2022

Hammerhead Show

The game at Hammerhead show went pretty smoothly, and there was a lot of chatting around the table about 'the good old days' when 'toys were toys'.

Rather than rattling on I've just uploaded some photos and added a bit of text below where useful. You will gather the photos are not in order (from multiple people).

We played the game with a modified version of the 'A Gentleman's War', the main thing we did was change the activation to a simple alternate move system to speed things up.

There is also a video of the game  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4RiFlOq3k

A general view of the table at set up.
(I'm the handsome chap top right.)


Prussian fusiliers - the first SYW unit cast and painted.


Another view at set up with the lonely Austrian grenadiers
on the hill.

It was a participation game.
Not all players were old timers.



The 3pdr battalion guns are Karoliner barrels on Rossbach carriage
with SYW wheels.

Austrian and Hungarian grenadiers.
(I know they shouldn't have flags - but they are my toys!)


Prince August kindly provided some moulds and kit which 
we displayed to show how it is done.

Prussian Dragoons
SYW dragoons with cuirassier arms and infantry officer heads.





Prussian Cuirassier.
Rossbach cuirassiers with SYW Prussian officer heads.

Mounted Officer.
SYW dragoon officer with head and arm from SYW 'general'.





Austrian Dragoons
SYW dragoons with cuirassier arms and Russian infantry officer heads.

Buildings are 3D printed.
All buildings are 28mm scale to save space - nobody noticed!








Austrian Cuirassier.
Karoliner cavalry with SYW officer heads.
(The SYW cuirassiers are way too big so not used.)



















18 comments:

  1. Steve it was a beautiful game and a real credit to all your hard work, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I could not tempt you to play though!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic looking game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I had a lot of good feedback on the day.

      Delete
  3. The semi flat Prince August figures do look nice en masse like this. I had two moulds back in the mid seventies ....unfortunately one I chose through inexperience (I was about ten or twelve) was an NCO with halberd, it would have been much better if he had been armed with a musket! I remember all the gear in the photo though ...I used a gas powered blow torch to melt the metal and when I ran out, we had yards if old lead piping in my dads shed that I worked my way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new moulds are much more detailed than those back in the 70's.
      It is difficult to get a decent casting from pure lead, most of mine are from 'scrap' figures which is generally fine; for more difficult castings the more expensive Model Metal.

      Delete
  4. Now that is a really impressive looking game, well done to all concerned, superb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think the range is coming together nicely.

      Delete
  5. Great Old Skool gaming, looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old School figures, however we tend to play with 'modern' rules, currently Field of Battle and A Gentleman's War.

      Delete
  6. An incredible looking game! Love the look of the terrain which matches the figures. Outstanding job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - Dulux emulsion on table and bases.

      Delete
  7. A lovely looking game and terrain Steve…
    I was going to come along on Saturday… but I caught Covid instead.
    Option one would have definitely been more preferable….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are feeling better.
      The plan is to take it down to Kenilworth in June so you cant get out of it that easy!

      Delete
  8. Don't know how I missed this fantastic post Steve, wonderful 18th century eye candy. Looking forward to meeting up in June for our Kenilworth bash.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I will see you at Kenilworth - along with my 40mm chums.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic display of SYW eye candy Steve.
    Looking forward to meeting up at Kenilworth next week.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the game was actually planned for Kenilworth - but was taken to Hammerhead as a 'practice'!

      Delete