Thursday, 28 February 2019

Prussian Infantry & Dragoon Update

Prussian Infantry

I have finally made a start to painting some more Prussian infantry - this time IR No7 - Braunschweig-Bevern.

These are pretty much the standard Prussian castings, with the exception of the officer who is a Russian with a Prussian head. He needs a little conversion - just remove the belly pouch and shave off the buttons from the front of the coat.

I really do not enjoy painting Prussians - I find working with the dark blue difficult.

The flag is from Maverick Models - 80p well spent!

Dragoons - Update

Work on the dragoons is moving on slowly, the current plan is to revert back to figures with the horse and torso together, as it proved difficult to produce an accurate fit on the torso to horse connection (hands-up that was my idea) . It is still proposed to keep separate arms and heads to allow more variety.

Both the horses and riders will be about 7% smaller than the cuirassiers to rescale the horse to 15 hands compared with the 16 hands for the cuirassiers.

There will be 3 figure moulds, an officer (pictured below), a drummer and a trooper, along with an extra arm to convert either the officer or trooper into a standard bearer, these will have 'Austrian' heads, which are also suitable for French, Russians and quite a few others.

In order to allow these to be used for other nations there will be an additional mould containing cavalry heads including:

  • Prussian tricorn with steep front
  • Austrian horse grenadier bearskin
  • Russian horse grenadier 'mitre'
  • Horse grenadier mitre
  • French dragoon fatigue cap
  • British light dragoon
Below is the work in progress for the heads - these need a bit more work but give an idea of what is proposed.

As always feedback would be appreciated.


  1. Looks excellent to me!

    I think the separate torso's would only have been worthwhile if they'd been able to fit onto different horse bodies so a standing horse, a walking horse etc. Simple and effective works well for me. This will be a useful set.

    1. The idea was to have a standard profile for the torso to horse fitting, this would have allowed multiple torsos and horses to be used as you suggested.

      The problem was that there is not a lot of tolerance in the fitting, and through the process of 3D printing and mould making it was difficult to ensure a constant fit.

  2. Those look very good. I can barely wait.

    1. The figures have been printed and look good - however there will be a little more waiting.

  3. Looks fine to me, Steve. The horse pose is useful and the heads look great.

    1. Thanks - next I am trying to get them to produce a staff officer.