Pages

Sunday 17 October 2021

Prussian Frei Korps


Following on from the Grenz I have painted a a small 8 man unit of 'double blues'.

The new firing infantry are nice figures, and are designed to mix in with the very first Prussian moulds. The bodies are cast in 'scrap metal' and came out reasonably well, however I used heads from the original Prussian moulds (cast in Model Metal), as I prefer the proportions of the older heads.

A rear shot, the kit is similar to the original figures, however size is inconsistent, but they look fine mixed together - the chaps will go thirsty as the water bottle is missing.

Comparison with the original Prussian infantryman (they have heads from his mold), even with the different kit size they mix fine.

On this occasion I decided to go a little down the 'imagination' route and give the troops the new hornist figure as their musician; these are skirmishing troops in my army, and the horn looks far more appropriate than a historically correct drum (and it used the brand new figure). Using similar logic they are commanded by the new staff officer. - I can see him popping up in all sorts of places. 


And finally a mix of the old and new figures.

Next I think a couple of mounted officers.

6 comments:

  1. There are some gems amongst the new moulds.

    These have certainly painted up very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to get him to fill in the gaps.

      I just could not resist using the hornist!

      Delete
  2. Cracking looking figures ! , I'm tempted by these new molds .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have fun making some jager etc, and a collection of mounted generals.

      Delete
  3. They look really sharp! And you are correct. That officer on foot looks like a very useful figure.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pose is based on an old HE figure which I liked.

      Delete